Sunday, July 23, 2006

Books to read?

Had a busy last few days. On Saturday night, Aimee threw us a fabulous bon voyage party. We had a lot of fun and stayed up really late! I brought my camera so I could take pictures to post on the blog, but I guess I was having too much of a good time-- I didn't really stop to take any pictures.

Today we packed up another load of our stuff and took it to Rob's grandparents (we're storing a lot of our stuff in their basement). Had some time with Rob's fam-- it turns out they are avid readers of the blog, so hello to all.

Just wondering if any of you out there could suggest some good reading material for me while I am in Nicaragua. When I was there doing my pilot study in the summer of 2004, someone had left a copy of The Mists of Avalon in my room. Reading that book provided me with hours of entertainment during nights when I couldn't sleep and days when I just couldn't go out into the forest. My space is limited so I must choose wisely. Let me know if you have any favorites that you think I would enjoy.

3 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

I mentioned this already on the bugaboo blog, but I really liked Jonathan Safran Foer's "Extemely Loud and Incredibly Close". I also took Frida up on her suggestion of anything by Paul Auster and you should do the same. (I liked "The Book of Illusions" by Auster, and Frida keeps recommending "Mr. Vertigo", but I haven't read that one yet.)

Is "Mists of Avalon" fantasy? Have you ever read "The Neverending Story"? Many have seen the movie(s), but the book is so much more wonderful. The author is Michael Ende. "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman is also great. (So is everything else he's written.)

I also like Barbara Kingsolver. My favourite book of hers is "The Poisonwood Bible".

 
At 8:17 AM, July 25, 2006, Blogger amypfan said...

In response to your comment on my blog..... yes, I vividly remember our run-in with the law over our obnoxiously loud music. What can I say? We were rebels.

As for books, I second the nomination for "The Poisonwood Bible." Very good. Since having Bryn, I haven't so much been able to get to the library, so I have been re-reading old books, including all the Shannara books, which are every bit as good as I remember, plus there are a whole lot more of them now. If you're thinking fantasy, I'd also recommend Raymond Feist. Oh, also, not fantasy, but anything by Jodi Piccoult--my favorites are "Keeping Faith" and "My Sister's Keeper," but all are excellent. I know there are also many websites out there where you can download text of entire novels, so that might be a way to supplement your packing space. And if you can figure out a way to get mail on your remote volcanic island in shark-infested waters, I can mail you some replacements when you run out.

 
At 10:19 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks for the excellent book advice!! The Mists of Avalon is a version of the King Arthur story, as told by Arthur's sister Morgaine. Probably not something I would have picked up at a book store, but it was full of adventure and ended up being the perfect thing to read while I was lonely in Nicaragua. I will take all these suggestions with me and go to the book store to see what I can find!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home