Tuesday, July 11, 2006

And so it begins....


When my dear friend Bugaboo went away to do her dissertation research, she made a blog of the whole experience so that we could all follow along. It was so cool that I decided to make my own blog when it came time for me to do my fieldwork.

Well, I haven’t left yet, but in a few short weeks, Rob and I will be leaving for Nicaragua, where I will follow howler monkeys through the forest for a year. Rob will be able to keep his job and work remotely as long as we’ve got electricity and an internet connection. We’ve supposedly worked out a way to have both, so I’m hoping for the best.

Please stay tuned as we finalize our plans for departure and embark on fabulous Nicaraguan adventures!

3 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

Nicablogua! Your blog is so much prettier than mine!

I haven't heard from you in a while. When do you leave?

And thanks for the Nat'l Geo!

 
At 4:23 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Melissa said...

Greg--
You are freaking out. Stop freaking out.

Jodi--
The plan is to leave soon. First week of August or thereabouts. There are some uncertainties which I may post about. These uncertainties involve the toughness tester. Oh, and I'm glad you like the Nat Geo! And also, I am glad you think the blog is pretty. I had a lot of free time to spruce it up last night when I couldn't sleep.

Greg (again)--
For the record, I have heard many Nicaraguans use the term "Nica" as an abbreviation for things pertaining to their country. It does not appear to have any negative connotations. However, I do agree that "nicablogua" is a much cooler title. Too bad I didn't come up with that one on my own. I think it is too late to change the website (unless I delete this blog and start over, which seems like too much of a pain), but maybe I will change the name on the title page.

Negro--
If you are going to have a fight with Greg, please do it somewhere other than the Nicablogua. I will try to keep my blog posts short so that you will continue to read them. If I make posts that are too long, maybe Frida can paraphrase it for you.

Thanks all, for reading and posting!!

 
At 6:40 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

g - hey! I was lonely (and it worked, didn't it? ;)

melissa, you blog as much and as long as you want! I'll always read them and post comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home