Monday, July 17, 2006

Toughness tester update

I picked up the toughness tester (TT) at school, and later in the afternoon I brought Cousin Dan over here to have a look at it. Dan was totally in his element. His degree in engineering physics (with a concentration in electronics) was really put to good use as we set to work on the tester.

Here's the box the TT came in:


And here's Dan taking out the load cells. He looks so happy!!


Here are all the components. Dan is looking excited.


So I trained on this thing for a few days back in September, but I don't think I ever assembled it myself with it being in quite so many pieces. There's a "manual," but it does not really say much about how to assemble it, and there are no pictures. Luckily Cousin Dan lended a hand and we had this thing put together in a couple of minutes. Here's Dan putting together the load cells:


This photo nicely shows off the stainless steel test frame and the scissors used to conduct leaf toughness tests.


The beige box with all the cords coming out of it is the electronics box.... This is likely where the problem with the tester is.


So, at any rate, we have the tester set up. To actually do the toughness tests, it needs to be hooked up to a computer that runs the appropriate software. We can't test it out to figure out what is wrong with it because we have just realized that the data integration card cannot be plugged into our laptop. We had thought that Rob's newest Mac had a port for this device, but it turns out that it does not. Rob is telling me not to freak out and trying to come up with a solution. At the moment, it looks like I may have to buy a PC laptop. I don't know if I can buy this on the grant (which hasn't actually arrived yet)-- I didn't ask for money for a computer because I didn't think it was necessary. I am seriously, seriously distressed about this, but am trying my best not to freak out. Am hoping we can borrow a computer to at least test it out. If the start signal malfunction is a result of a problem with the electronics box, then it will have to be sent back to Hong Kong so the guy who made it can repair it. Oh, and I also have to buy some kind of special suitcase in which to transport the machine. So... even though the machine is here, my stress level is still at an all-time high. Will post as soon as I have any more info.

4 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

What about the little IBM Thinkpad laptop that Greg took to Puerto Rico? It's a PC. It lives in the big grey metal cabinet in the outer part of SL's office. I don't know what its memory is, and how much it'd need to run the TT software (it's got WinXP, BTW), but you may want to check it out. It works fine. It's very little and doesn't weigh much at all (v. easy to travel with!) SL would probably let you take it if you needed it.

Get one of those hard plastic pelican cases (packed with foam) to pack the TT in for travel: (http://www.pelicancase.net/) That's what the shapecam travels in. I checked it on flights, took it on a billion different trains, dragged it up & down countless staircases & hauled it in & out of lots of cars, and nothing broke. Or just wrap it all up in lots of bubble wrap. (I can get you bubble wrap. I have a bubble wrap source ;)

And don't freak out. If you have to send it back to Hong Kong, then you have to send it back. It'll get fixed and then it'll get sent back to you. Just realize that whatever is going to go wrong will go wrong whether you freak out or not. And some things WILL go wrong, no matter how much you've prepared for everything. Things break. Travel plans (and research plans) sometimes need to be adjusted. This is all ok. (It makes for good war stories later on.) You'll still get down to your field site (whether you just leave later and/or stay on longer, it's all ok), you'll still gather your data, this TT will get fixed (never too late to submit that research board application for a new one...esp now since you can add in how this one is broken! Hey - what do you have to lose? The worst they can say is no, right?), and you'll still write a really great dissertation in the end.

And Melissa? Stop freaking out!

Seriously. It'll all be ok :)

 
At 3:13 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Melissa said...

Jodi, you are the best, I mean it. Thanks for helping me find the ThinkPad in SL's office. It has very little memory on it, but we're going to try it out tonight and see what it can do.

I submitted my order for a Pelican Case... but I am curious... who is your elusive source for bubble wrap??

Thanks for the pep talk in the department today. It made me feel so much better!

 
At 5:44 PM, July 18, 2006, Blogger Melissa said...

Ah Negro, I didn't see your comment before. I think we all know that Willy is a good TA. Maybe this is why he goes by "Willy," to avoid confusion. Anyhoo, thanks for posting on the blog again.

Pierocks--
Thanks for joining the blog!!!!! And thanks for all the help with the TT. You're the best cousin-in-law ever.

 
At 8:05 AM, July 19, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

Willy & Melissa are the best TAs I've ever had.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home