Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A bit more detail

So in case any of my non-Grad school friends are reading at this, the whole basis of my dissertation is to look at how resource toughness impacts feeding behavior of primates during different stages of development (ie, infancy, juvenility, adulthood). I could go on for hours about why this is theoretically important, but I’m guessing no one really wants to hear about that in the context of the blog. At any rate, actually measuring the toughness of monkey foods requires an extremely specialized, complicated and exorbitantly expensive piece of equipment. Getting ahold of one of these machines was a long and rather nightmarish experience. I finally got it all worked out and supposedly had a machine lined up, to be shipped to me this summer. Well, a few weeks ago I found out that this particular machine is broken. Its going to be shipped to me alright, but I was told that I’d have to send it back to its manufacturer in Hong Kong and pay to fix whatever is broken.

Receiving such news has definitely put a damper on things. But as more details of the problem have emerged, it seems like any number of my local, engineer friends might be able to fix it. Am trying to remain optimistic about that. Otherwise, this whole shipping back to Hong Kong thing will definitely delay the project. Either I wait around here indefinitely until the machine is fixed and returned to me, or I go on to Nicaragua without it. I’ve looked into having it shipped directly to Nicaragua, but have been advised against doing that—what with the bribes I would need to pay and the length of time it would get held up in customs. A better option would be to have Rob bring the machine back with him in October, after he returns to the US for a work thing.

This morning I received word from my friend and “colleague” that he has shipped the tester to me. Hooray. Maybe this vomitous feeling in the pit of my stomach will subside a tiny bit when the machine actually arrives. Am so hoping that the problem is minor and we can fix it and get on our merry way. I also received permission from the grad college to make a minor change to my budget (I am paranoid about this after the ordeal Bugaboo went through), so now I have confirmation that I can use their money to buy a ticket for August-December. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that I’ll be able to briefly see my friends and family again after 4 months!

In other news, I had a lovely lunch with Frida today... after she had a not-so-lovely 1.2 mile walk in the swelteringly oppressive heat. Oops. Lo siento. Next time I will ask if you are in a car or on foot before I tell you something is "cerca de..." (ie, nearby). Afterwards, I went to the department and saw Greg and Martin moving large carts full of Christmas decorations down the hallway. I'm still not sure what they were doing or why, but it was good to see them and chat for a while!

3 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

wait -- you have non-Grad School friends?

I can't believe B broke the TT. I hope it's just a minor problem. But this is ok, you're experiencing your technical problems before you leave! Will you be able to still gather usable data down there until the TT arrives? (And good thinking on getting permission from the Grad College to change your budget before you go. If my experience can help just one person, etc...

I must have just missed you today in the Dept. G & M caught me setting up sections for next week & forced me to drink 5-yr-old Old Milwaukee beer.

Don't ever drink 5-yr-old Old Milwaukee beer.

 
At 10:37 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Melissa said...

Jodi--
You are the best. Thanks for the posts! Yes, I have non-Grad school friends... or at least I used to... maybe they got scared away by Greg and Negro's comments.

Well, technically B did not break the toughness tester. He was in Uganda when it happened. As more information comes out, I think it may actually be a software problem... which might be okay because I bet Rob could fix that. Way to remain optimistic. See, I am not freaking out! Do you remember one time in my office when I was freaking out about the toughness tester and you were like, "Melissa, if you say 'toughness tester' one more time, I am going to smack you!!"

Wow, 5-yr old beer. I knew we had all those empty "Milwaukee" boxes in room 116N and I often wondered why. Apparently there was at least one of the actual beers left. It must have been pretty bad-- I will take your word for it.

Weren't Greg and Martin in rare form yesterday? If they'd been into the 5-yr old beer, now I can see why.

Frida--
I hope you are recovered from the 1.2 mile walk. Maybe I am subliminally (sp?) just trying to get you into shape for the Women's Running Club-- ha ha! It is unfortunate that the Spanish translation for "toughness tester" is a sexual innuendo. If I am not granted my research permits, perhaps this is why! Thanks for cluing me into that yesterday. La maquina que evaluar la rigidez...

Negro--
Please do not use my blog solely as a means of communicating with Greg. They have invented phones and email for that. And stop drinking 5-yr old Milwaukee beer!

Other friends/fam--
Please don't be scared away from commenting!

 
At 6:44 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Jodi said...

I think we should have her drink one before she leaves. If she can survive that, then she'll know that she can survive any problem she may encounter in the field.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home