Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Pink

Well, I have made it to August. All I can say is that it is good that the project will be over soon; I am ridiculously burned out and fed up with the jungle. Even after taking several days off, it was pure drudgery to get up at the crack of pre-dawn and follow the monkeys all day through rain, dense canopy, mosquitoes, spiders, etc.

Wrinkle Belly was my focal animal today—I tried to explain to him that I was going away soon, and that this would be the last time I would be following him all day long. But in typical Wrinkle Belly fashion, he did not appear to care one way or the other. He just went about his business, without seeming to care that our time together is about to come to a close. My burnout is so extreme that I didn’t even get too emotional about it; I just wanted the day to get over so that I could come home and lay down. I took a few pictures of him as a memento for the occasion; the photos aren’t great, but I did the best that I could.

Wrinkle Belly

Wrinkle Belly in his fave mango tree

Matilda with baby Toby, who is playing

Baby Toby on her mother's lap. I do not know where big brother Horace was today.

I left the forest a little earlier than usual because there was so much thunder that it sounded like the mountain was falling apart. It seemed for certain that I would get caught in a torrential downpour, so I told Wrinkle Belly thanks for the memories and scurried towards home. It never did rain too much though; just a few drops and then the storm moved on.

On my way home, I stopped by my little amigo’s house—the one who had run out and asked me for a bracelet a few days ago. I had promised him that the next time we saw each other, I’d have a bracelet for him. When I walked past, he was outside and I called out to him, telling him that I had made him a bracelet. He came tearing out to the road, grinning from ear to ear. I gave him the bracelet and he was beaming, telling me muchas gracias many times over. He ran back up to his house and a woman—could have been his sister or aunt or mother—came out. She held out her arm and he tied the bracelet to her wrist! After all of that, the bracelet wasn't even for himself! I could have cried. Well, maybe they’ll share it.

When I finally got back from the forest, Eduardo was here, which cheered me up despite my burnout from the jungle. We chatted for a little bit, and I asked him what color bracelet he would like me to make for him. He thought for just a minute and then smiled brightly. “Pink!” he exclaimed, in English. Pink. Alright then, pink it is.

That’s all for now; I’ve got to get myself together so that I can go to the forest again tomorrow and keep making those bracelets. Thanks for reading!

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, August 01, 2007, Blogger amypfan said...

If Eduardo wants pink, I'm sure you're happy to oblige. At least make it hot pink instead of girly, ok? Not that I think you go in much for the girly. As for your feelings of burnout, I remember feeling intensely that way right before coming home from studying abroad, and then again shortly before the end of our 3 month summer camping sojourn. Adventures are wonderful things, but I think the lure of home is pretty powerful as well.

 
At 7:18 AM, August 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes in order to leave a place we love, it's easier to be frustrated, angry, or just DONE. It makes it easier to leave.

 
At 6:23 PM, August 02, 2007, Blogger foxymomma said...

PINK--- how interesting!!!!!!!! Maybe he wants to give it to HIS mama!!!!!!!! You are leaving your mark on the lives of the many friends you've made during the last year--- Somehow you will make it thru these next few days--- Just remember ALL you've endured during the last year , so whatever the next few days, have in store, you'll soon be 'on the PLANE 'and NICARAGUA will be in your review mirror!!!!! GOOD LUCK with the next 2 FOREST days.. I loved the PHOTOS,, of W/B,, he looks like he's putting in a VERY HARD DAY!!!!!!! Toby looks like a cutie and Matilda looks like a good mama!!! Maybe Horace was off at MONKEY SCHOOL!!!! HANG IN THERE-- we're all pulling for you. Take Care and STAY WELL.... luv and hugs to you both

 
At 11:14 PM, August 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the 'bracelet party' idea ... so i'll stay stuck on that while you're dealing with the departure drama ... i could have cried buckets of tears at the photos of Wrinkle Belly ... he's been such a main force of your forest time ... and the other photos of mom and babe ... AND the little amigo who gave his precious bracelet to someone very special to him ... THEN Eduardo needing a pink bracelet before you go ... what a simplified way of life you're about to leave ... and very soon you'll be tossed into the re-entry of students to the University and life as it is here ... we must have a bracelet party and pause to remember your far away place and the people who live there ... and definitely make plans for when you'll return with the bracelets to share from your other far away place and the people who live there! I think I might be taking over your sorrowful emotions -- so you just go battle the bugs and other displeasing things ... and hurry home!! hugs, auntie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home