Friday, June 29, 2007

The best 50 córdobas I've ever spent

Last night was some kind of “parent-teacher conference” for the kids who are taking English classes here. I got to meet Eduardo’s mom, and she is so sweet. No wonder Eduardo is such a good little boy.

A plant chemistry professor (who I’ve met before when he was teaching a class here) also showed up again last night. He's on his way to the herbarium in Léon and he said if I needed some plants identified, he could take my samples with him. That is a really great offer—actually, it would be a huge help to me. There are a few trees out in the forest that the monkeys like to eat from, but no one (including botany students) has been able to tell me what they are. So I decided to undertake an expedition to collect samples of these trees today. I knew I needed someone who could help me cut down samples, but last night when the professor arrived, it was kind of late to arrange a helper for such an expedition. I talked to Conny, a girl who works here, and she said she would make some calls and find someone for me. Sure enough, early this morning, a guy named Pedro showed up and said he could do the work. So Pedro and I went to the forest, gathering samples of some of these mystery trees. His tree-climbing ability amazed me. Several times he shimmied up trees and tightrope-walked out on branches to cut down a sample. I actually had to look away because it made me so nervous. He is only 18 years old, but he knows a fair amount about the forest, and it was really helpful to talk to him. When we were done with the work, I gave him 50 córdobas (a little bit more than $2.50), which was actually more than the amount I initially said I’d pay him. He seemed pretty happy with it, and I am hoping that this is the best 50 córdobas I’ve ever spent. If I can get those plant samples to Léon (without taking time out do to so myself) and they can identify them, my dissertation will be ever so much more scientific.

Rob and I will be heading out to Costa Rica tomorrow because I need to leave the country and re-enter for visa purposes. I’m not sure where all we’re going or what all we will be doing, but I will try to take pictures and write about our adventures when we return.

One more thing: good news, Rob and I finally found a place to live when we return to the U.S. None of this would have been accomplished without the Scho’s, who are the best in-laws ever! Thanks so much for all your help in finding us a home sweet home.

And this is the last thing, I promise. Birthdays of friends and family have been numerous this past week. So far we’ve had the birthdays of Cousin Tommy, Uncle Jim, Nana, Rob’s brother Travis, and tomorrow… its Little Miss Claire’s. A Happy Birthday to all!

Thanks for reading!

1 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, July 01, 2007, Blogger amypfan said...

I want to hear about the place you will be living when you return!! Glad to hear you got your money's worth and will be able to identify plants soon. I'm just back from several days in Peoria and am definitely worn out!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home