Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Bracelet Lady

Number of Ticks Removed: 68
Days Tick Free: 2

I thought about writing earlier in the week, but it would just have been more complaints about mosquitoes, spiders, eye infections, my aching neck and back, and my pre-dawn wake-up call. So I decided to wait until I had something more interesting, or at least more positive, to write about.

A while back I got this idea to make bracelets out in the forest to keep myself occupied while the monkeys were sleeping. Initially I thought I might sell them, then I thought I would bring them home to give to friends/family, but finally I decided that I would give this batch to the women who work in the kitchen here at the hostel. The other day one of the cooks was crying about a boy (it turns out that the Dunlap Love Story is universal), so I decided it was time to break out the bracelets in hopes of raising everybody’s spirits. The result was a resounding success. I have never encountered a more bracelet-loving people than the Nicaraguans. Forgotten were the tears over this problematic muchacho (who I'm sure is a jerk anyway) as everyone became fixated on the bracelets. Over the next few days, I doled out bracelets to the cooks working the different shifts, trying to make sure that I gave one to everybody. The bracelets were such a hit that a few days later, three of the cooks came and found me after dinner to ask if I had any more. They pretty much cleaned me out, but I was happy to give all these bracelets away because it was such a small thing that made them so happy. As more people surfaced, intrigued by my rapidly dwindling supply of bracelets, I kept telling them I could make more, just to tell me what colors they wanted. The resounding response was always that the color and even the design did not matter. “Lo que quieres, Meli,” or “Lo que tengas.” In other words, whatever you think is best, Melissa, or, whatever you have on hand.



Yesterday, as I was on my way home from a brief foray into the forest, a small child came running out of his house to meet me on the street and ask me if I had any more bracelets. I guess my reputation as the Bracelet Lady now precedes me. Unfortunately, I am fresh out of bracelets. I asked the little boy what colors he wanted, and he just shrugged, saying whatever I had would be fine. I have the feeling that giving a bracelet to this one little boy will open the floodgates, and every single child on the island will want one. With less than two weeks left now (!) I’m not sure that I’ll have enough time (or enough materials) to supply that many bracelets. I’m going to do my best though. So I guess I’d better get going; I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Thanks for reading.

7 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, July 29, 2007, Blogger foxymomma said...

Another title to add to your list!!!!!!! Bless you, for putting some 'happy' into other's lives!!!!!!! Hopefully you will find 'enough' time and SUPPLIES to meet the demand----- They look darling, maybe you will find a demand in the USA ,too!!!!!!!!! 2 weeks from TODAY , you will once again RETURN 'home' --- How exciting for all!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see you both. Take care and BEEEEEZ CAREFUL in the next few days!!!!!!!!! Luv you, the count down is on!!!!

 
At 4:46 PM, July 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a kind and thoughtful thing to do! It just goes to show what a small gesture of kindness can do, they will remember you for always, Melissa. My grandaughters would go "ape" over those bracelets. Maybe you could have a NEW CAREER here in the states. It sounds like your time there is coming quickly to a close, I am sure with mixed emotions for you! OH! thanks for giving your Mom the gift card to PANERA'S, she was so kind to share it with me. You must be like "Mom", kind and thoughtful!
I guess by now you know who 'Pat" is, so I won't have to put Mom's OLd friend!

 
At 5:20 PM, July 29, 2007, Blogger amypfan said...

This reminds me vividly of making bracelets for the kids on the Indian reservation in South Dakota--gosh, 10 years ago now. Can't wait to see you at home!

 
At 8:42 PM, July 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness your bracelets are lovely. I can see why they are so popular. I want one, too! Tell us how/when you learned how to make them. You have so many talents.

 
At 6:58 PM, July 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

could you teach me to make bracelets when you get home??? we could have a bracelet party and get everybody involved and then send them to your island place by the dozens!!! such a neat story ... much love ... see you soon!!
auntie

 
At 8:35 PM, July 31, 2007, Blogger Melissa said...

Auntie--
That is a great idea! I taught my friend Joel to make the bracelets today, but even with the 2 of us working around the clock, I'm still not sure we'll be able to make enough. We should definitely have a bracelet party when I get home! But instead of sending them down here (I doubt they would ever arrive), maybe I could just come back to deliver them in person and visit everybody again!

Amy--
Was it bracelets, or hats? I just remember being cold in the tent and knitting everybody hats. Which still, is about all I can knit.

Thanks for the comments, all.

 
At 7:46 AM, August 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, that story was precious. I'm sure it will be only one of the many memories you'll have from you year-long stay in Nicaraugua. So, get to work, (it'll make your last two weeks fly by)...We can't wait to see you guys! Sending lots of love and good luck packing. I know that will be a challenge as I've witnessed it first hand from my living room the day you left. Good luck with the bracelets - I say you can meet the challenge!
Mom Scho

 

Post a Comment

<< Home