Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Earth Day

Its been a while since I’ve posted anything because really, what could I say in the wake of the incident by the mango tree? I’ve just kept on doing the same old things: observing the monkeys in the forest, cutting up leaves with the toughness tester, etc. But all the while, I've kept thinking about that baby monkey I couldn't save.

At any rate, Rob and I realized that today is Earth Day, so I thought that warranted a blog entry from me. I hope everybody at home is out planting a tree. In honor of Earth Day, I thought I would include a little list I’ve made about my observations on the Dry/Windy season here on Ometepe. Most of you who know me well know that I really like making lists. Not grocery lists or “to do” lists—I actually hate making those. But I like making quirky lists such as this. For reference: in this part of Nicaragua, we receive approximately 1300mm of rain per year, falling mainly from May through November. The remaining time (December through mid-May) is extremely hot, extremely dry, and often extremely windy.

How to know it’s the dry/windy season:


• You turn on the faucet or try to flush the toilet and nothing happens.

• You wake up and there is a dust bunny in your hair.

• Your contact lens blows off your finger while you are trying to put it in your eye (this happened in Jan 2004).

• The lettuce from your salad blows off your plate at dinnertime.

• There is significantly more grit in the bread, rice, beans, lettuce, etc.

• Things hitting the walls wake you up in the night.

• Things blowing off the shelves in your room wake you up at night.

• You are always covered in dust.

• The puddles in the road dry up.

• Your clothes dry in about 2 hours.

• Everyones’ eyes are red all the time.

• There is puke on the ferry.

• There is your puke on the ferry.

• There are no spiders, anywhere.

• By 11am, the water in your bottle is so hot that you could boil tea with it.

• Howlers fall more often because the dry, brittle branches they are traveling on break.

• Early/mid dry season: you are covered in thorns, ticks, and burrs.

• Late dry season: the cicadas are so loud you think you might go crazy.

• You actually get a fever if you are out between the hours of 8:00am to 4:00pm.

• Its so hot that the only thing you can compare it to is the rush of heat you feel when you open the oven door to take out a sheet of cookies. And it feels like that all the time.

• On the road, passing cars stir up so much dust that you can’t see anything for about 2 minutes after they go by.

• The water level in an 8,264 km2 lake has dropped 2 feet.

Anyway, thanks for reading and Happy Earth Day!

4 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, April 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reson why I didn't think I would like to be there! Now, I know why.

Mom's "OLD" friend
Pat

 
At 5:38 PM, April 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WEll, those are 22 reasons I guess I am still sitting back here!!!!!!! I tried to figure out which was the worst one, and IT WAS HARD, but finally decided 'the HEAT , feeling like taking cookies out of the oven,,,,,,, and maybe number 2, is 'the dust in the air, for 2 minutes , after a car passes!!!!!!!! I did LOVE your list, it was much more interesting than a grocery list or a 'TO DO' list,,, yours was more like a DAVID LETTERMAN LIST!!!!! Just try to hang in there, until the RAINY season arrives., Take Care and Stay well, we miss you and luv you, foxy momma

 
At 6:55 AM, April 23, 2007, Blogger amypfan said...

I was very relieved to see a post from you; I was starting to worry. :) Your list reminds me of the ones we made back in high school, something about why winter was horrible (I'll bet you'd like some winter right now) and also how to know you were obsessed with someone. I may need to go dig those out now.... I'm curious as to what we thought. Love you bunches!

 
At 8:14 PM, April 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list Melissa... Your blog is so educational. I had no idea Nicaragua had a "Windy" and "Dry" season. I hate to complain in light of your list, but the weather is really crappy here, not windy and dry, but rainy and cold. Hang in there! We love you guys.
Mom Scho

 

Post a Comment

<< Home