Saturday, May 19, 2007

Playa Santa Cruz

Number of ticks removed: 32
Days tick-free 0

Despite the all night power outage (very hot, no fan) and this morning’s discovery of my 32nd tick (embedded in my shoulder), its been a really great day. Sleeping in past 4:15am and getting a real sit-down breakfast of oatmeal, mangos, and coffee would have been enough for me to consider it stellar, but it got even better. As Rob and I were trying to come up with a fun outing for the day, we decided to ride bikes over to the beach at Santa Cruz. During the past couple of months, they’ve been working on the road around the island, and its a lot smoother than when we first arrived. With big, loud tractors, they have grated down those jagged boulders, so now the road is mainly just dust and gravel. It makes for a much smoother ride. The hills are still there, but I don’t mind a challenge. Its actually a lot of fun when you are not careening from rock to rock, certain at any moment that you will fly off the bike and land teeth first on the road.

We ate lunch at a place called El Encanto (seriously, visit the website; it will make you want to come to Ometepe and stay there!). The view from El Encanto was beautiful, and the lunch was so good; it was really nice to have something different for a change. After lunch, we continued on to the beach, and we pretty much had the whole thing to ourselves. When we first got into the lake, it felt as warm bathwater, but after a few minutes, it was so nice and cool compared to the air outside. I actually began to feel cold for the first time in months. It was great! I decided that we need to visit the beach more often. Now that the road is fixed, its only a nice half-hour bike ride away, with just enough hills thrown in to keep it interesting.

Here are a few pictures of the volcanoes and us on our bikes at the beach.
Maderas

Don't I look like my sister in this picture?

Rob on bike

Concepción


One more thing: good news, Rob’s dad is back at home and doing well! We are very relieved that he is on the road to recovery. Get well soon!

Thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger amypfan said...

I'm so glad to hear about Rob's dad! I'm also happy to hear about your Good Day. I think I'm going to refrain from clicking on the link for your restaurant though; I pretty much already want to come to Nicaragua and it's only the little one(s) holding me back. Make sure you hit that beach several more times before August; we don't have anything nearly so pretty (or relaxing) at home here in the Midwest!

 
At 9:57 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Melissa said...

Amy,
I so wish you could come to Nicaragua. So many times while I am watching the monkeys, I think of walking around the forest with you, much like we walked around the cathedral in Rome.

 
At 10:56 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger foxymomma said...

I LOVED the photos of you and rob, on your bikes at the beach.--- and YES, you do look like your sister, HOWEVER, I doubt you would find her on a BIKE going anywhere!!!!!!!!!!! -:) So glad you got to go on a fun adventure, and enjoy the day.!!!!! Everyone needs some relaxation time!!!! Sorry about finding MR TICK, EWWWWWWWW. sure hope that SEASON ends SOON!! Do be careful, and take care. miss you, and luv you, HUGS

 
At 8:02 PM, May 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Dr. Negro.

 
At 10:21 AM, May 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I only wished that I looked as good as you... I don't think that I could even get my butt on a bike these days. I wonder how long I can continue using the baby weight excuse?? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home