Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Plot Thickens

Just like that, the seasons changed.

The rains are over and the dry, windy season has begun. I was shivering last night, and I woke up several times just from the sound of the wind. It is amazing how quickly everything has dried out. Puddles on the road have disappeared and clothes that I hang on the clothesline sopping wet are practically dry 10 minutes later.

I went to talk to Simeon and the landowners about the problems in the forest. Apparently the people who used to own the land sold it to a gringo. Even though they wrote “PRIVADO” on everything up there, they said it was fine for me to go walking around on the property to follow the monkeys. The problem is that this gringo landowner is going to cut down the forest and plant crops there.

That’s a pretty big problem. If there are crops instead of forest, that means there will be no monkeys. And that means, well, I’m not sure what that means for me.

I don’t know when the gringo is going to cut down the forest: it could be after my project is over, or it could be tomorrow. I can still study the South group; their home range should remain intact for the most part. And Simeon said that even if the North group’s forest is gone, the monkeys won’t go far—we could probably find them. On the one hand, that sounds about right, but on the other hand, I don’t know where Wrinkle Belly’s group can go. Fields surround the forest patch, and other groups of monkeys live beyond Wrinkle Belly’s territory. I hate to think of Wrinkle Belly, in his old age, wandering around the forest cold and hungry looking for a group to join. I hate to think of a rich gringo, trying to make a fast buck by destroying a precious natural resource to grow bananas that Americans can buy for 20 cents a pound. Hasn’t the US done enough to Nicaragua? I am twisted up and sick inside. This is the problem, exactly. Local people who come in and take wood for cooking or even building their houses are not the problem. Rich gringos who greedily clear cut the forest for their own profit are what is ruining this planet into oblivion. I’d really like to get my hands on this guy.

I realize its Thanksgiving for you all back home. Thanks everyone, for all your comments. Rob and I are getting out of here for a few days to have a mini-vacation; I think we both need to clear our heads and have a breath of fresh air. We’re going to head over to San Juan del Sur on the Pacific; its supposed to be beautiful, so we’ll take lots of pictures. When we get back, Simeon and I will continue the search for Wrinkle Belly in what’s left of the forest.

Until later then.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, November 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it sounds like my hopes for the gringo have not quite panned out. I don't know what it's like there, but here construction can take a long time (thus why Michigan Road has been under construction for all 9 years that I have lived here), so perhaps they won't even clear the land until after you're done with your research? I do have this horrible image of Wrinkle Belly wrapped in tattered rags and begging on a street corner somewhere though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home