Saturday, November 11, 2006

Beach Excursion

Happy Birthday to my dearest friend Amy and to my brother-in-law Andy and Happy anniversary to Frida and Martin!

For those who haven’t yet seen my post from earlier in the week and would like an update on Wrinkle Belly, Uno, and Ortega, scroll down.

Today was an overall great day; I started out by having a brief phone chat with Amy (“we’ve been friends since we were 9 years old”) to wish her a happy birthday. After breakfast, Rob and I decided to go to the beach. We hopped on some mountain bikes and rode over to the Santo Domingo area, some 8 or 9 kilometers away. Santo Domingo is near the isthmus of the two volcanoes and is a somewhat ritzy area of the island; there are a couple of “resort” hotels (meaning, they probably have hot water) and beautifully lovely sandy beaches.

Although I’ve been to Ometepe 3 times, today was the first time I have actually been in Lake Nicaragua. Hard to believe, I know. Maybe its the tales of freshwater sharks lurking in the brackish waters, or maybe I’m just more partial to the salt and the green, gray, blue and gold of the ocean. But I’m pleased to report that there were no shark attacks during this excursion and we had a really nice time. The bike ride wasn’t as bad as I’d expected, but there were still a few more tooth-rattling descents over slippery jagged rocks than I would have cared for. Here’s a few pictures of Rob and me riding our bikes on the beach.


1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, November 19, 2006, Blogger amypfan said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes--although my birthday ended up going severely downhill after I talked to you, as Bryn came down with the flu while we were moving. Not fun! I love the beach pictures. Happy Krysten says to tell you that she is heading to Italy next week for her honeymoon and will think of us when on the beach in Venice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home