Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Along came a Pica Caballo

Number of ticks removed to date: 22
Number of days tick-free: 13 (maybe tick season is finally over??)

Rob and I were eating dinner by the light of the crescent moon at a table outside our room when we saw a dark shape moving along the ground. Tarantula. The first one I’ve seen around the Hacienda. And while it was not huge, it was larger and darker than the three or so I’ve seen in the forest. Still, no shrieking. “I’m amazed at how calm you are,” Rob said as we studied it. Clearly, he remembers the days when I couldn’t even touch my Animal Behavior textbook because there was a picture of a spider inside.

One of the guys who works as a volcano guide was walking by, and we gestured to the arthropod. He shone his flashlight on it and stood looking at it for several long moments. I asked him (in Spanish), “This is not dangerous, is it?” He looked at me earnestly and assured me that yes, it was dangerous. He said that if it bit your thumb, you would lose the thumb. I know I wasn’t confused by the Spanish because he used gestures to illustrate the point. He went on to say that if a horse got bitten by one of these on its foot, the horse’s entire leg would become immobile. My throat tightened. “This is a pica caballo?” The fabled horse-biting tarantula that almost made me reconsider doing fieldwork in Nicaragua. “Si, si, es un pica caballo,” he assured me. He said that we should kill it. Speaking over the lump in my throat, I told him that I had a machete in my room and he said that would be good. I usually have a no-kill policy concerning wild animals, but when it comes to spiders, that flies out the window. I thought of the time that Pablo (my professor, not the grad student) told me he found a fer-de-lance (poisonous snake) on the trail in Costa Rica and although he normally wouldn’t have killed it, he did so because he didn’t want it to bite any of the students who would be coming through later. I thought maybe this was a similar situation. The offending arachnid was really close to the rooms (ours included), and I wouldn’t want someone to lose their thumb or worse. So I handed over my machete and the deed was done. One less pica caballo in this world to worry about; how many others are out there? I feel like I need to wear a full suit of armor when I go to sleep tonight.

Local people generally know what they’re talking about when it comes to the flora and fauna around here, but there’s a part of me that doesn’t believe (or doesn’t want to believe?) that this thing was actually a pica caballo. All the pictures of pica caballos on the internet show them as being much larger and much hairier than the thing we saw. If only my entomologist sister-in-law had been visiting, she could probably have told me exactly what it was.

At any rate, I’m exhausted after a 14-hour work day that even included the Toughness Tester, so I’ve got to sign off and get some sleep soon. Thanks for reading.

7 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, February 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

machetes and killer spiders ... i may need a full suit of armor to sleep tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
be VERY careful,
love and big hugs, auntie

 
At 7:34 AM, February 22, 2007, Blogger amypfan said...

Maybe it was a baby and that's why it wasn't as big (and theoretically, not as dangerous?). I am horrified at this story. I am glad I didn't read this before bed last night, or I surely would have had nightmares.

 
At 1:26 PM, February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think you should write a book of your adventures! It is soooo interesting, although, you wouldn't get me there for nothing! I'm "a little" afraid of hairy things that crawl! I am so enjoying this whole unbelievable trip with you and Rob.

Your Mom's old old friend
Pat

 
At 2:53 PM, February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too dislike "offending arachnids" !!!

 
At 9:20 PM, February 22, 2007, Blogger Jodi said...

I would rather COVER myself with honey and go BATHE in a VAT of ticks then be anywhere even REMOTELY near a tarantula. Even a non-poisonous one.

GET OUT OF THERE. NOW.

(omigodomigodomigod)

*deep breath*

Ok. I'm ok.

 
At 10:38 PM, August 01, 2010, Anonymous K-Lub said...

Ahhhh! I just got back from a mission trip in Nicaragua and on the last day, as we were packing up a Pica Caballo ran out from under my friends suit case. We were lucky it didnt bite anyone before we killed it!

 
At 8:48 PM, August 19, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick note, I am a farmer in Nicaragua and the picacaballo is just a old wives tale. These tarantulas are usually harmless and you can even pick them up (gently and carefully) if you remember to wash your hands after (the hairs on their legs do itch). Regionally, the common name of pica caballo has been applied to many different species of spiders from golden orb spiders, to tarantulas.

I will not argue about the terciopelos (Fer-de-lance). Those snakes are so well camouflaged and can be pretty agressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home